Mahinog, Camiguin (2 Feb) – The Municipal Government through the Public Employment Service Office (PESO) has started accepting applicants for the 2010 Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES).
This was learned from Ms. Elvira V. Capagngan, municipal PESO manager here.
She also said that due to the limited number of SPES slots in the municipality, applicants may apply at PESO provincial office at Capitol Compound.
The provincial government is accepting applicants starting February 1 and the employment will start on April 5, 2010, according to an advisory issued by the provincial government.
Capagngan said the SPES program helps poor students finish their education through wages they earned during the summer and Christmas breaks, adding that at least 60% of the salary will be paid by the local government unit in cash and the remaining 40% of the salary will be paid by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) in the form of education voucher to the student to pay for their tuition fees and other educational expenses for the coming school year.
She announced the SPES is open to all qualified high school, college or vocational students or drop-outs, at least fifteen (15) years of age, but not more than 25 years old, enrolled during the current school term or immediately preceding the summer vacation, with parents’ combined net income after tax not exceeding Php36,000.00 per annum.
For Mahinog alone, more than 56 students were given employment in 2009 under the SPES and Government Internship Programs (GIP) where 60% and 75% of their salaries, respectively, were paid by the municipal government and the remainder from DOLE.
SPES is implemented annually by DOLE through the PESO and the Local Government Unit (LGU). (Homer R. Jajalla, Mahinog Information Office)